Thursday, April 30, 2015

Leave That Boston Mom Alone!!!!

Why is everyone lambasting that mother in Boston, who saw her son acting a fool on TV and went down to give him "what for"?!
That woman has my praise!  Was she a bit harsh?  Of course!  His actions demanded harshness!  Or maybe there are those who think she should have merely given him a "time-out".  If there were more mothers willing to take care of business, there would be less kids rioting.  And once again, these protests are not productive.  That's like me saying, "McDonald's forgot to give me my french fries.  I think I'll go burn down Wal-mart."  As far as I can remember, burning and looting has never been a productive way to get your point across.  Protests are one thing.  There is a time and place for that. But short of a civil war, what they are doing is not helping anyone, and only further demonstrating why the black race has the reputation it does.  If you want to change the world, then go to school, get a job, be participatory in your community.  Make things happen the right way.  Crooked cops need to be dealt with, as there will always be a few sour apples in the bunch, but the majority are fine, upstanding citizens who do their job with pride.
If we teach our children from a small age to have respect and empathy for others, a lot of the crimes would be eliminated and a lot of these riots would not take place.  To our illustrious government, that has taken away nearly all rights of parents to be parents to their children, "Congratulations!" I hope this is what you and Dr. Spock were hoping for- wild hellions rioting in the streets!  I got plenty of spankings growing up, and plenty that left a whelp or bruise on my back side.  And I deserved many more than I got.  I was not beaten.  I was not abused - there is definitely a difference.  I was made to mind and behave.  I knew if I got in trouble at school, the trouble I would have at home was going to be far worse than whatever happened at school.  Of course, that's because I had parents who were responsible and caring and worried about my well-being and future.  Worried enough to do the unpleasantries of spankings.  We didn't have time-outs.  We had knock-outs.  And you knew the consequences of your actions.  That thought, and the fear of coming pain was what kept us in line.  There were no exceptions.  The phrase "Wait until your father gets home" carried much weight. But that was also from a time when being a father was taken seriously. 
I feel like a lot of parents have somehow overlooked their job.  Our job is not to make sure our kid gets a trophy, even if he's the worst player on the team.  Our job is not to furnish our children with luxuries. Our job is to raise responsible, God-fearing children, all in an effort to prepare them to enter the world as responsible, productive adults.  Our job is to teach that every action has a consequence - some good, some bad.  Our job is to teach that you don't always win.  Life is not always fair.  People do mean things sometimes.  People do wrong things sometimes.  Our job is to teach our children to do what is right and honest.  To understand that work is good for you.  To promote self-esteem.  To encourage dreams.
To the mother in Boston, I applaud you for trying to do what you think is right.  Your son is obviously too big for a bend-over-the-knee spanking, and given the circumstances, I probably would have done the same thing.  Followed by much lecturing and shouting once we got home.  To the rest of the world, let this mother take care of her business!

No comments:

Post a Comment