Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Civil Rights or Civil Riots?

I guess I am a bit confused here.  I thought slavery ended years ago.  I thought Martin Luther King rallied for civil rights.  I thought when we had the Civil War, it was to end slavery and through the years that followed, for black people to be treated the same as every other color or race in America.  I hate that following the end of slavery there was still a division in our country.  But through protests (peaceful protests), pride and persistence, that division was slowly dissolved....I thought.  I believe Martin Luther King did, in fact have a dream, and a great dream at that.  But I do NOT believe his dream was looting and burning buildings in Ferguson, Missouri.  I have a business. I treat every person that comes through our door the same, whether black, white, purple or green. Whether male or female, fat or skinny, short or tall.  I am white.  I am an American.  I do not refer to myself as a "White American"  or an "English American" or a "Cracker American".  Just an "American".  I was born here - that makes me an "American".  So why does the media continue to refer to "Black Americans"  and "African Americans"?  I don't get it.  Everyone who was present during the Civil War raise your hand....no one? Oh, so none of the current Americans were slaves.  And none of the current Americans owned a slave.  Our country has come a long ways since then.  Every one has the same rights at present - everyone can go to school, go to college, get a job, vote, fight for our country, state your opinions, protest what you disagree with, etc.  EVERYONE.
But not everyone chooses to exercise those rights.  Some choose to drop out of school.  Some choose to sell drugs on the streets.  Some even choose to burn businesses in their own neighborhoods.  How is it that people hope to further their cause by demonstrating that way?  I have been disgusted with the many injustices in our country many times.  But not once did I think it would be a good idea to steal from and destroy the places I shop at.  And not once did I think it would be a good idea to risk going to jail for my opinion.  Actually, I haven't ever protested, because I have a job to go to, and I would have to jeopardize that job if I were to be gone long enough to attend a protest.
So, to all you people rioting in the streets and destroying property you don't own, how is it you find the time for this?  Do you not have a job?  Do you not have a family that expects you home for dinner?  Maybe if you were half as passionate about getting a job and acting like a responsible citizen and doing something productive with your life, you would be a remarkable success.  And this alleged injustice, though it might make you angry, would pass with time and you would move on with your life.
As to the specific shooting incident, does anyone realize that if Michael Brown had not robbed a store, this would never have happened?  Had he been at work that day, at a job, where he earned money, he would not have had the time to rob a store.  Had he surrendered to the policeman at the first request, this would never have happened.  And why is race an issue when a black person is involved?  There have been many white, hispanic, etc people shot and killed by policemen through the years.  It wasn't a racial thing - it was policemen doing their jobs.  The same policemen you would call if someone was trying to break into your home.  The same policemen you would expect to protect you when you needed them.  Are there bad cops?  Sure.  And they should be dealt with accordingly.  But these riots imply a total disrespect for the authority we give to our policemen.  If I am walking down the street and hear a policeman say, "Stop or I'll shoot", I am probably going to stop and do whatever they ask.  Because I don't want to get shot.  Even if I don't know why they are saying that to me.
Oh, Martin Luther King, I fear your dream has somehow turned into a nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment